Ok people, I need to talk about this. Badly. I'm burning with anger now. Can you see the flames shooting out from my ears??
Hehex. No la. I'm just a lil pissed, deflated and shocked. My all-time idol journalist from Berita Harian (BH/Berita Minggu (BM), Hanim Mohd Salleh, had written an article regarding Rima Melati's divorce and got it published in BM. It was from an interview, or an excerpt of her conversation with Rima, I'm not sure. But there were a lot of quotes from Rima.
And so, I thought Rima had endorsed the article and allowed it to be published, and knew about it. But when I read Rima Melati's blog (see Links) just a few moments ago, I felt like I was slapped. I blushed madly in front of the computer. Can you believe it? Rima did not even know the article was written and PUBLISHED! Rima, I quote from her blog entry dated 21/3/2008, was alerted by a phone call from her mum who read BM.
As someone who had studied journalism, I think Cik Hanim should have told Rima Melati that she was writing and publishing the article. I feel that the divorce is a seriously private matter. After I read the BM article and Rima's blog, I was shocked.
From my personal perspective, I feel that Cik Hanim kita had ?hoodwinked? Rima Melati somewhat to get the scoop. Maklumlah, Sundays are when everybody does not work and school and read the papers kan. Rima does not even know about the existence and publication of the article!
All my inspiration and all my adoration for Cik Hanim waned slowly. This is unjust for Rima Melati, I feel. We are supposed to tell our subjects that we are writing and publishing an article about him or her, especially if it is a sensitive issue related to them, especially like divorces. And this, I think reflects badly on journalism.
However, I cannot wholly point fingers at Cik Hanim kita. As a journalist, she has to abide by the strict newsroom ethics and Code of Conduct for Journalists. I think Cik Hanim definitely knows it more than me. I mean, why ever not? She has been in journalism for a few years now. I am absolutely sure, obviously sure, undoubtedly sure that Cik Hanim knows. Heck, even using a tape recorder to record interviews must be told in advanced to the subject/s in order to fulfill the requirements of a morally sound journalistic activity.
Maybe it was a misunderstanding on Rima's part? Maybe Rima misheard what Cik Hanim said? Maybe Cik Hanim did say that she was going to publish and Rima probably misheard it amongst the buzz of her problems?
On one side, I know Cik Hanim is wholeheartedly credible and nobody should doubt her as a truthful journalist as she is bound by ethics and codes of conduct. Moreover a tight self-censorship is done at SPH and come on, this is Singapore, where MDA is up and about and thsi si the place where foreigners can only report but not participate in local politics. But on the other side, Rima has said on her blog that she does not know the article had been published. So....
all I can say here is Wallahua'lam. Hanya Tuhan sahaja tahu keadaan sebenarnya. Only God knows what has actually happened. I can only ponder in my thoughts. I am praying for the best of both parties.
Insya Allah (God Willing), I will do my best for print media in future when I finally do reach my goal.
Apologies if this entry seems insensitive, or reckless, but I feel I have a right to say regarding this. Any queries, just contact me okay?
No comments:
Post a Comment